I made a single acrylic sign for myself and as a test piece before I started making 5 of them for Christmas presents. Now that I’ve finished those 5, I have a few lessons that I learned along the way that my original sign didn’t shake out of my design and method.Continue reading “Lessons from making 5 side lit signs”
It’s always fun being able to use my 3d printer for my lab, and since I got a new server to replace my virtual host, it’s time to do so again! I plan on printing out a 1u rack mount unit for the Dell mini PC that I’m replacing my giant 4u virtual host with.Continue reading “Rack mount mini PC 3d Print”
Now that I have a CO2 laser available, it opens up some new things that I can do, like cutting and engraving clear acrylic. Adding some side lighting to that and we can make a pretty sweet sign. I also plan on making a few more of these for gifts, so this first one is my experiment piece to try out all the techniques needed.Continue reading “Making LED Acrylic Signs”
Every once in a while there’s a product you need just for the laughs. And this is one of those times. Here’s how I assembled it, which basically follows their guide to the T with the addition of hot swap sockets.Continue reading “Building the Richard Macropad”
I recently decided to upgrade one of my printers between prints. This ended up causing problems when the update failed, and left the machine in an incident state. The printer would display that the version number is abnormal, but then the repair attempts it tried also failed, and it refused to print in its software state.Continue reading “Bambu Firmware Failed to Install / Version is Abnormal”
Since setting up my pair of Bambu Labs X1 Carbons, I’ve been itching to get the data off the onboard computer and into home assistant. I don’t need Home Assistant to control the machine, but being able to monitor it and notify me of anything is absolutely something I want (and maybe turn on air filters when they’re running or other actions).Continue reading “Adding the Bambu Lab X1C to Home Assistant”
Wood cutting and engraving is great on the Gweike cloud. As one expects from a CO2 laser, its much faster than the ortur I was using before and I had to play quite a bit to find some good settings for the new laser to optimize the performance.Continue reading “Wood Working on the Gweike Cloud”
After having used a diode laser for a while, it had proven itself as a useful tool for my workshop. So what’s the next step to go from there, obviously a CO2 laser with more power and speed than the diode laser. I wanted a desktop model in the 50w+ range and found it in the Gweike cloud pro laser cutter. It has a similar feature set to other desktop models and supports LightBurn and local control (a major boon over the likes of GlowForge and despite the “cloud” part of the Gweike Cloud name).Continue reading “Getting Started on the Gweike Cloud Pro”
Way back around 2013, something started getting popular on Instructables, word clocks. They gave the time as a sentence instead of a usual number like most common clocks. I thought these were cool and wanted to build one, I even picked up parts, but never got around to building it.Continue reading “Building a Word Clock”
Unable to Perform Path Operations
If you can’t do boolean operations in InkScape, you may have to un-group the paths. It can’t do path operations on groups, and sometimes InkScape will put a single object into a group. You can combine paths and do boolean operations on them that way, but that is using the path combine tool, you just cannot use the grouping feature.
You can’t use object operations on it for LightBurn to understand it. No use of object clip or mask should be used when creating files for use in LightBurn. You can make use of path difference or intersection to make changes to similar effect when avoiding the object tools.